Sitemap Mod ACP Problem

General discussions Forum for everything that does not fit elswhere in the phpbb SEO forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Sitemap Mod ACP Problem

Postby sleevedbiker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:35 pm

I have the latest version of the Sitemap mod installed on 3.0.12. However, in the ACP the tab for this mod looks like...

Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 3.23.00 PM.png


Any suggestions on how to correct this? Thank You
sleevedbiker
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:29 am

Advertisement

Re: Sitemap Mod ACP Problem

Postby Peter77 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:41 am

Looks like might be a missing edit to language. Did you make the necessary edits to language/en/common.php ?
Peter77
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 9:46 am

Re: Sitemap Mod ACP Problem

Postby sleevedbiker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Yes. I just double checked the common.php file and the edit is correct.
sleevedbiker
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:29 am

Re: Sitemap Mod ACP Problem

Postby HB » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:10 pm

As a reminder, phpBB 3.0.12 came out this week. dcz hasn't released updates to support it. So it may well be broken. As an aside, I think sitemaps are essentially worthless. Googlebot has no trouble traversing phpBB sites; why would it need your "hints" in a sitemap?
Dan Kehn
HB
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:25 am

Re: Sitemap Mod ACP Problem

Postby sleevedbiker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:44 pm

HB wrote:As a reminder, phpBB 3.0.12 came out this week. dcz hasn't released updates to support it. So it may well be broken. As an aside, I think sitemaps are essentially worthless. Googlebot has no trouble traversing phpBB sites; why would it need your "hints" in a sitemap?


If they're completely pointless, then you should let google know to remove them from their algorithm. As for the sitemap I tested your solution by installing it on another phpBB board I have just now and it's 3.0.11 and is doing the same thing.
sleevedbiker
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:29 am

Re: Sitemap Mod ACP Problem

Postby HB » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Sitemaps have nothing to do with "Google's algorithm". In theory, they're a mechanism to find obscure nooks and crannies of your website, but realistically any new content that's phpBB-based is easily found from the main index. Check Google Webmaster Tools "Crawl > Crawl Stats". If your site is even modestly active, Googlebot will run it from top to bottom several times a week. It sure as heck doesn't need no stinkin' sitemap to navigate.

Don't believe me? Then read the online help here: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/156184

Sitemaps are a way to tell Google about pages on your site we might not otherwise discover. In its simplest terms, a XML Sitemap—usually called Sitemap, with a capital S—is a list of the pages on your website. Creating and submitting a Sitemap helps make sure that Google knows about all the pages on your site, including URLs that may not be discoverable by Google's normal crawling process.
Dan Kehn
HB
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:25 am

Re: Sitemap Mod ACP Problem

Postby sleevedbiker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:33 pm

HB wrote:Sitemaps have nothing to do with "Google's algorithm". In theory, they're a mechanism to find obscure nooks and crannies of your website, but realistically any new content that's phpBB-based is easily found from the main index. Check Google Webmaster Tools "Crawl > Crawl Stats". If your site is even modestly active, Googlebot will run it from top to bottom several times a week. It sure as heck doesn't need no stinkin' sitemap to navigate.

Don't believe me? Then read the online help here: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/156184

Sitemaps are a way to tell Google about pages on your site we might not otherwise discover. In its simplest terms, a XML Sitemap—usually called Sitemap, with a capital S—is a list of the pages on your website. Creating and submitting a Sitemap helps make sure that Google knows about all the pages on your site, including URLs that may not be discoverable by Google's normal crawling process.


I never asked for opinions on sitemaps, I asked for a solution to an error. No clue why you feel you must give opinions when they're not asked for. Also, it's amazing how you know what's included in googles algorithm considering anyone involved in it signs a non-disclosure. So, there for either you do not know or you worked for google and are now in violation of that said non-disclosure. And I guess google and eveyone else is jsut wasting their resources by having a section for sitemaps in webmaster tools. I know what a sitemap is, I've been coding since 93'. But either way it's not realy on topic with the question in the OT. Thanks though.
sleevedbiker
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:29 am

Re: Sitemap Mod ACP Problem

Postby HB » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:30 pm

sleevedbiker wrote:I never asked for opinions on sitemaps, I asked for a solution to an error.

Er, it's not my opinion, it's what Google's online help clearly documents: "Sitemaps are a way to tell Google about pages on your site we might not otherwise discover". For phpBB, all content is easily discovered, ergo, sitemaps have no value for phpBB-based forums. However, if you had articles that you wrote but were not yet linked by your site, sitemaps would give Googlebot a heads up to their existence. If you do have such a case, just hardcode a sitemap since your site can have more than one.

In other words, unless this is some sort of programming exercise, the solution to your problem is accepting there is no problem.
Dan Kehn
HB
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:25 am


Return to General Discussions

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests