Any plans to support phpbb 3.1?

General discussions Forum for everything that does not fit elswhere in the phpbb SEO forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Any plans to support phpbb 3.1?

Postby redactuk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:07 pm

Do you guys have any plans to support phpbb 3.1?
redactuk

Advertisement

Re: Any plans to support phpbb 3.1?

Postby Meis2M » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:03 pm

phpbb 3.1 is not release yet.

but sure i think phpbb-seo coming for 3.1.
Meis2M
PR1
PR1

Postby redactuk » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Let's hope so.

I manage a fairly big site running phpbb and 3.1 is going to require quite a lot of changes to the modifications we've made. Due to very long history of delays for 3.1 we've been looking at alternatives recently, especially those that support more natural URLs. However, if phpBB SEO is likely to continue to support phpbb from 3.1 onwards then that's a big plus for us staying with phpbb, as these mods have been invaluable to us. Just hope 3.1 gets released soon :roll:

Thanks again to phpBB SEO team for all their hard work on these mods.
redactuk

Postby HB » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:34 pm

I haven't looked closely at phpBB 3.1. I'm curious, which feature(s) interest you enough to migrate? I think the "responsive prosilver" is neat. As for the future of phpBB-SEO, I too would like to hear what dcz has planned.
Dan Kehn
HB
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team

Postby redactuk » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Well our goal for the next major version of our site is to go fully responsive, so upgrading to a phpBB version that supports a responsive default theme makes sense, even if we don't necessarily use prosilver as a base for our own theme. I need to look at prosilver responsive theme more closely, as in our case we sync our phpBB with Wordpress, so we may go with a responsive grid framework holding it all together rather than too much separation.

In addition, as our forums are heavily modified, this presents a fairly large job every time we update the core code, so re-coding our mods to take advantage of the new events and listeners in 3.1 makes a lot of sense for future compatibility i.e. separating them much more from phpBB.

Note: One thing I haven't yet found any info on is to whether there have been any proposals to include better URL re-writing into the phpBB core in upcoming versions, but I get the general feeling that phpBB team have been less than helpful when it comes to incorporating external functionality. That said, I don't know what relationship you guys have with phhBB team so please scrub that last remark if that's not the case.
redactuk

Postby dcz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:24 am

mm, I hadn't looked at the source in a while and ... well, I'm wondering where phpBB is going now. A bounch of meat balls in Tagliatelle (spaghetti are too slim in that case).

I wonder if anyone benchmarked the ship, but adding events and keeping hooks in append_sid looks like a lot of meat to me. The source is more or less twice the size as before, and this comes after phpBB3 already increased it by a lot (but with tons of new features), I whish good luck to anyone not running an opcode cache, I mean :
phpBB3.1 index.php wrote:Time : 0.234s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off | Peak Memory Usage: 7.14 MiB

phpBB3.0 index.php wrote:Time : 0.062s | 10 Queries | GZIP : Off | Memory Usage: 2.12 MiB

This is fresh install compare (no phpBB SEO code) on my local xampp without apc, and the box is an 2600kI7 ...

I'm quite disappointed to see that they didn't really choose between becoming an actual framework and actually using one that exists. It's right in between, and worst, it's also in between the old, some said heavy but understandable logic and something new we can't really tell what it is, but really different, this is for sure.

I have to admit I am not such a big fan of symfony, but I was keeping the hope that phpBB would be the occasion for me to finally dive deep enough into it to go beyond that feeling. Well, sorry, but what I read is even worst that symfony. So much more code to achieve ... pretty much the same forum with most of 3.0 code still there.
I'm sure they have good reasons, like "we needed to stay close to the current source", with also modders in mind I guess, "we wanted so bad to use symfony", "rewriting everything is for v4", but I can't understand why this, they would better have worked on something entirely new IMHO.

I even feel sad because if this is close to what we should expect for 3.1, then everything that have always been said about phpBB being heavy with poor design will become very hard to contradict.

I mean, using symfony and still declare bounch of globals, using symfony but still not auto loading phpBB classes, implementing "events" (which to me is a nonsense unless you run some kind of persisting program, even javascript. I mean, how many event are you gonna handle within a page load, even if you have a second) and keeping hooks (is there an actual difference really ?) ...

The whole things looks like someone is hacking phpBB3.0 to add php 5.3 and symfony in it. I talked about meat balls, here, have one from index.php :
Code: Select all
$page_title = $user->lang['INDEX'];

/**
* You can use this event to modify the page title and load data for the index
* @event core.index_modify_page_title
* @var   string   page_title      Title of the index page
* @since 3.1-A1
*/
$vars = array('page_title');
extract($phpbb_dispatcher->trigger_event('core.index_modify_page_title', compact($vars)));

I mean, come on, is this the final summit of useless complexity ? I'm sure we can do better.
First one to untangle the full Tagliatella behind this wins a cookie. Hint : this allow developers (not you obviously, at least right now) to change the index page title, Mein Gut !
I'm sure you also appreciate the "register global logic" touch added by extract and compact, it was a while since I last so those, refreshing.

If this results in allowing you to set a custom page tile for index page from somewhere in the acp, it's handy, but could be replaced with a call to a config key, if not, well, do we really need classes to set this ? Cause I'm not so sure it's handy for users, since editing the 'INDEX' key in language array already was too much for many.

Anyway, this whole thing confuses me. It does not seems that the url handling changed that much (except we would be bypassing both event and hooks in append_sid), so I guess a phpBB SEO version is feasible. Let's see how this goes when we start seeing betas and more user reactions.
Useful links :
SEO Forum || SEO Directory || SEO phpBB || Search

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby Alien_Time » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:47 am

interesting reply dcz... Although I havent looked or analysed the source code of 3.1 like you did, but there are certain features like the notification system, responsive prosilver and extension system that interests me. I am looking forward to upgrading to 3.1 when its released but it only comes down to your SEO mods. I have all of your seo mod installed on my board and my site hugely depends on SEO URL Rewrite and Gym Sitemap. So I am very anxious to know if you will be developing a 3.1 version for your mods. If SEO mods are not available to phpbb 3.1, then I dont think I can update to 3.1 without this in which case I would have no other choice but to stay with 3.0.x versions. Now that 3.1 beta 2 version is released, have you had a chance to look into this more since your last post? Do you think you will be releasing a 3.1 version for your ultimate seo mod package?
Alien_Time

Postby basementclev2 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:12 pm

Do you think you will be releasing a 3.1 version for your ultimate seo mod package?
basementclev2

Postby silneil » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Dcz,

I'm waiting for this too! Any idea when the first version of the Premod ou only a MOd will be ready?

Your MOD is very important to us!

Thanks a lot,

Silnei
silneil

Postby Meis2M » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:18 pm

yup...

we cant upgrade to 3.1 until phpbb-seo not release for 3.1. :D
Meis2M
PR1
PR1

Postby btrfishing » Fri May 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Meis2M wrote:yup...

we cant upgrade to 3.1 until phpbb-seo not release for 3.1. :D

This! :)

I would love to hear your opinion now that a couple Beta's have been released.

Thank you.
btrfishing

Postby dcz » Tue May 20, 2014 10:36 am

I think we will release something, but we have to resize the project a bit and this will probably result into fewer packages available.
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby Max_69 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Hello everyone, released version 3.1.0 RC1

Link: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2249011
Max_69

Postby dcz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:32 am

http://phpbb-seo.coda-cola.net/projects ... isions/418

not yet easy to use, but close to functional :D
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby dcz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:07 am

Now it's easy to use but still from svn : http://phpbb-seo.coda-cola.net/projects ... repository
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to General Discussions