Google Dance October 2007

Discussion about the Google Search Engine. SEO, PageRank, AdSense, AdWords, Use and other Services.

Moderator: Moderators

Google Dance October 2007

Postby dcz » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:17 pm

It's now for sure, we currently are going through a Google dance.

And I'm pretty sure this one will be commented.

Looks like Google did put in action his warnings about paid links. Many sites have gone through a significant drop in PageRank.

phpBB SEO stays at 5, as well as the two directories ( http://annuaires.phpbb-seo.com/ and http://directories.phpbb-seo.com/ ) but the other sub domains and the forums get a PageRank 4.

I'm still satisfied with this result since many where a lt less lucky.

webceo.com PR 6 => PR 0
axandra.com PR 7 => PR 0

phpbb.com q : PR 9 => PR6
searchengineguide.com PR 7 => PR 4
webrankinfo.com PR 7 => PR 4
even Youtube.com gets a PR3 :shock:

For sure the message about paid link is sent.

We'll see with time if it gets worst or not. So far, only the "link Juice" (ability of a page to transmit PR) seems to be affected, SERPs and Google referrals are not altered yet.

++
Useful links :
SEO Forum || SEO Directory || SEO phpBB || Search

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Advertisement

Postby mhmdkhamis » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:42 pm

phpbb.com PR 5 now :?

i think they should be try remove any thing about buying links

youtube main page only have 3 but most pages are PR 8

i agree if google give me to index page PR 1 and most 6 :lol:
mhmdkhamis
PR4
PR4

Postby TomaS » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:28 pm

hmm i see some 5 and some 7
http://www.iwebtool.com/pagerank_checke ... =phpbb.com
it is possible that one domain can have two different GTPR?
like my whit www prefix has 3 and whitout have only 2 ?it is strenge
phpBB podpora-slovak phpBB support
slovenský preklad pre phpbb3-slovak translate for phpBB3
predaj a kupa domeny, marketing a internetove podnikanie- Slovak domain center
TomaS
PR2
PR2

Postby dcz » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:28 am

mhmdkhamis wrote:phpbb.com PR 5 now :?:

Now this is crazy.
9 to 6 was already a pretty clear message, but 5 ...
Like if phpBB.com was a spammy domain, erf. Now given that this penalty was most likely delivered manually, it's really a pain.

Someone did think phpBB.com deserved this at Google :?

For sure, they do sell links, but, they officially do it, and I still can't find any reason why selling adds on a site could be a problem. I mean, they do all this because these adds are html and not JS, but I don't think it's up to Google to decide about this.
Beside, phpBB.com is far (very far actually) from being too aggressive on adds, and they really deserve some income to do all they do for us all.
In the end it looks like they are just taking a bit too much advantage from their leadership, they after all force all adds to use JS.

Problem is, in the same time, really spammy site went through the penalty, it's just sad to see it. While Google will never be able to kill spam, they are penalizing some real good sites.
I mean, there is nothing easier than building a spamindexing site, every spammer knows that most of the spam domain will be penalized, so, they are ready to start a new one every other day. It's a totally different thing for sites such as phpBB.com.
They are not going to hide, they never did, so, they just get penalized and voilà.
My point is, spammer do not lose as much as real good site when they get penalized.
That's the whole point about justice, can justice afford collateral damages up to punish innocent people ?
At least the answer is, it must be an exception.

Anyway, let's hope this is, as it seems so far, only concerning the link juice and not SERPs or referrals.

@TomaS :
This is what happen during a Google dance, data centers are not synchronized all the sudden, it takes time.

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby twhiting9275 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:31 pm

Most likely , what happened there is that the PR updates haven't synced quite yet. I saw that with one of my domains for a few months.

it is possible that one domain can have two different GTPR?
like my whit www prefix has 3 and whitout have only 2 ?it is strenge

Google does go by page, so domain.com and -www.domain.com are, in fact different, just like domain.com/index.php and domain.com are different. This is good, as it allows different rankings for say support.domain.com , -www.domain.com , mail.domain.com , etc.
twhiting9275

Postby coyote » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:09 pm

I'm pretty happy with my PageRank right now. I started my forum on August 16th, and it already has a PageRank of 3, thanks to phpBB SEO, of course. :D

Weird, though. According to this Domain Stats Tool -www.webconfs.com/domain-stats.php the domain is 2 years, 8 months old, and I'm pretty sure when I bought it that no one else has had it before.
coyote
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team

Postby dcz » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:26 am

Have you tested you domain with the wayback machine ?

It's possible that you domain was once used by someone and then dropped before you bought it.

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby coyote » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:05 pm

Ha ha, no, I've never tried the wayback machine. Thank you Mr. Peabody. :D

Huh. It turns out someone was using it in 2005 for a few months. Here I thought I was being so original. :P
coyote
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team

Postby dcz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:31 am

:lol: The phoenix domain :D

If your domain is older than you expected, it can be a good thing SEO wise. Time online is an important parameter, even though in your case, the domain was not always linked to a site, it can still help a bit ;)

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby daflameking » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:08 am

yea. i was shocked when i saw big sites such as ipb and phpbb go down in page ranks. google is getting stricter and especially on those link farm sites.
daflameking

Postby SeO » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:34 pm

Do you call phpBB a link farm ?

I think they where penalized because they sell advertisement on their pages and part of them are direct html links.
And I wonder if sites like phpBB.com where not penalized as well because it was a way for Google to make the new rule clear for a lot of people at once.
I don't know about phpBB.com precisely, but, webrankinfo.com dropped PR from 7 to 4, and did not lose Google referrals or dropped in SERPs so far.
SeO
Admin
Admin

Return to Google Forums