Prosilver / subsilver2 code changes

phpBB SEO Premod for phpBB3 support forum.
This premodded version of phpBB3 includes the three different type of URL rewriting for phpBB3 by phpBB SEO. It comes with several other Search Engine Optimization mods installed.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Prosilver / subsilver2 code changes

Postby pnenquiry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:52 pm

Okay, alternatively, what are the changes one has to do in css files in THEME Folder, if one is using a Style that is based on Prosilver. (Coffee_Time) in particular.
pnenquiry

Advertisement

Postby SeO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:47 pm

If you theme is based on prosilver, using the load css option for XSL transform on sitemaps and RSS feeds should give decent results. Other wise, you can just not use your CSS (not using the above mentioned option) or not use any XSL styling at all, since it's not required for rss feeds and sitemaps to work properly (it's mostly cosmetic).
SeO
Admin
Admin

Postby iamshoaibi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:02 pm

Could someone help me change a theme called revolution based on prosilver, i tried but kept failing again and again.
iamshoaibi

Postby CheapCars » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:50 am

This is crazy. I think is easier start you own Style based or overwritting the "prosilver style" that comes by default with phpBB Seo Pre Mod (which is terrible) than trying to modified your favorite style looking for template by template to replace to code given here. :?

Does anyone could fix the problem with the "forum_fn.js" file? Most of the free Styles don't work with that file. What to do in that case then?? :shock:

By the way.. that file "forum_fn.js" isn't in the template folder of the "prosilver" and "subsilver2" style? The only .js file on this folders is "editor.js".. so? ¿@-@?
CheapCars

Postby dcz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:25 pm

If you cannot find temlate/forum_fn.js (which by the way does exist in prosilver) it means that your theme is based on subsilver2, and that you thus should try to implement subsilver2 code changes.
Have you tried this ?
Useful links :
SEO Forum || SEO Directory || SEO phpBB || Search

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby CheapCars » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:45 pm

Thanks dcz. Yes, I have notice that going by ftp you can see the forum_fn.js. I tried changing code as you suggest, but I'm not very expert and It turned a little difficult. I took the long way. I'm making changes over the prosilver CSS file and customizing my own style.

Thanks aw. :)
CheapCars

Postby dcz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Generally speaking, I would always advise user starting a forum to use the default styles as a base to built your own since a) these theme will always be maintained, b) they will be easier to update and mod, and c) if you want a unique design (which should be the goal), then using another theme is not a solution either.

Of course, I know that many user like simplicity, and thus want to use other themes, but the same type of issue will occur to them with any mod, and they won't be running a unique theme unless they mod it which can end up being the same as starting with a default one.

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby CheapCars » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:02 pm

Yes Sr. you said it. I've been working on it during the last 6 hours editing the original Prosilver Style. I think it is 50% finished,. it has been hard due to the big quantity of class styles that exist and it isn't easy to find which class match with 'x' phrase.. What I've done so far isn't big deal, but is the satisfaction of knowing that it's unique.
Last edited by CheapCars on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CheapCars

Postby dcz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:09 pm

Well done ;)

Did you know about : http://beta.colorizeit.com/

It can be very handy.

Then, I prefer to add an extra stylsheet where I override the default phpBB css classes I want to change rather than to perform many changes in the original css, it's a little bit heavier, but it's a lot easier to maintain ;)

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby CheapCars » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:34 pm

Uff.. had no idea! that's an awesome tool. This is me 2nd day using phpBB. Thanks for the style tip! I'll keep in mind. There are a lot things I have to learn about this forum. Thanks for your help.
CheapCars

Postby rshaw » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:41 pm

I have applied the changes to the code in a template based on subsilver2. It worked but now there are several pages that have abnormal size on the tables. These are the pages:

-www.studytalk.org/your-first-forum-f2/welcome-phpbb3-t1.html
-www.studytalk.org/forum.html
-www.studytalk.org/your-first-forum-f2/
-www.studytalk.org/memberlist.php

If you look at these pages, they have different sizes. Can you help me to correct this? Thank you,Kelly
rshaw

Postby dcz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:31 am

Well, you're using prosilver on that forum, and everything looks fine.
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby Orbits » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:50 am

I'm looking to upgrade my board (dogs4sale.net) to phpbb3 w/pre-mod. I'm almost done. All 800k posts have been converted and uploaded into the new board. Mixed Re-writing, GYM Sitemaps and RSS are all working perfectly so now it's just the Theme I need help with.

I want to use the same theme as phpbb.com so I grabbed the ProSilver Special Edition:

ProSilver Special Edition Download

The theme is version is 1.0.3 and it appears to have changed quite a bit since I used it last on another board. When looking at the VERY FIRST INSTRUCTION following the Prosilver guide, things break:

Code: Select all
#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
## MOD Title:       Advanced phpBB3 SEO mod Rewrite
#

styles/prosilver/template/attachment.html

#

With ProsilverSE 1.0.3 there is no attachment.html nor is there any other template files such as forumlist_body.html.....

The only files present in the Template folder are:
editor.js
forum_fn.js
overall_footer.html
overall_header.html
simple_header.html
styleswitcher.js
templae.cfg

So I can go ahead with the ProSilver instructions however I'm worried at the end something will be odd and I'll have issues long-term.

Thoughts? Should I just make the changes I can then not worry about the rest?

BTW - Perhaps in Pre-mod 3.0.6 you can bundle Prosilver SE... It is much nicer than ProSilver :) :) :) hehehe

As always, thanks!
Orbits

Postby SeO » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:10 am

If I recall well, prosilver_se inherits from prosilver, so just make sure that your prosilver files are as well up to date ;)

++
SeO
Admin
Admin

Postby Orbits » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Ah... ok sounds good. Will modify it up and post it somewhere for everyone.

Thanks for the FYI! I'm still stuck in phpbb2 days :) :)
Orbits

PreviousNext

Return to phpBB SEO Premod