Olympus -phpBB3 : Feelings and SEO

Discussions about the phpBB2 Forum. How to get the best from this powerful script.

Moderator: Moderators

How Great is phpBB3 So Far ?

Simply the best
26%
Very good
53%
Better than phpBB2
5%
Okay
5%
Not worth Upgrading
5%
I don't like it
5%

Total votes : 19

Olympus -phpBB3 : Feelings and SEO

Postby dcz » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:09 pm

phpBB3 - Olympus : Feelings and Search Engine Optimization (SEO)

As you must know phpBB3 was released Beta stage.

It's not possible right now to use it online, but it's a very good occasion to see what phpBB3 (Olympus) will be like.

And it's interesting to start sharing our feelings and to find out how hard will it be to upgrade when time will come. We'll certainly will have to sacrifice some mods.

But phpBB3 has so much more features that in the end it's likely most of your mods won't be necessary any more, at least the admin / mod / user classic mods.

Talking about Search Engine Optimizing phpBB3, phpBB SEO will continue to be useful, as there is to be done.

The bots handling will help out a bit, even though it's quite a heavy method to get rid of SIDs. And a bit dangerous is you allow them to see forums guest can't as it's cloaking.

Talking about mod rewrite, I think I'll come up with something really nice.

The new topic URLs being viewtopic.php?f=xx&t=yy (viewtopic.php?t=yy works as well but needs an additional SQL), I think I'll go for such standard:

In Mixed Mod :

forum-title-vfXX/topicxx.html

In simple mod :

forumxx/topicxx.html

A real folder structure ;)

For the advanced, it will depend.

I think it would be a bit too much to inject topic titles URLs with few code changes and without calling format_url() two times per links (as we'd inject two titles here, thus two time more to do ;) ).

In all cases, phpBB SEO will be ready for phpBB3 :D

I advise you to spend the 5 min required to local test phpBB3, it's really worth throwing an eye ;)
Useful links :
SEO Forum || SEO Directory || SEO phpBB || Search

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Advertisement

Postby lavinya » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:07 pm

hımmm. :)

beta 2 relased today.
lavinya
PR1
PR1

Postby dcz » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:36 pm

We're getting closer, sounds Good.

It looks like I'll soon have to release something for it ;)

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby arch_stanton » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:21 pm

Just to update... will there be a version of the Advanced SEO mod-rewrite available for phpbb3 once it gets to RC1?

I am considering installing the advanced mod for my phpbb 2.0.20 board - but I want to be able to upgrade this board to phpbb3 as soon as possible. Do you already have a version that works with Beta 2 or are you waiting for RC1 before starting work on it?

Thanks.
arch_stanton
PR1
PR1

Postby gowap » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:29 pm

arch stanton wrote:I am considering installing the advanced mod for my phpbb 2.0.20 board

Before you make any plan of installing this and that, consider updating to phpBB 2.0.21. The quicker the better (or at least make some backups, you will need them if your forum is hacked)
Gravure-News : la communauté francophone de la gravure de CD/DVD et son forum d'entraide.
gowap
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team

Postby arch_stanton » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:42 pm

gowap wrote:
arch stanton wrote:I am considering installing the advanced mod for my phpbb 2.0.20 board

Before you make any plan of installing this and that, consider updating to phpBB 2.0.21. The quicker the better (or at least make some backups, you will need them if your forum is hacked)

The difference between 2.0.20 and 2.0.21 is not that great, just some minor adjustments to the templates and no database alterations. But it does mean having to strip out all of my mods and then reinstall them, for very little benefit, which is why I haven't bothered yet.
arch_stanton
PR1
PR1

Postby dcz » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:00 pm

Well, yes the difference is not big, and that's why it will probably not require to reinstall all mods on your forum if you do it step by step. But I confirm you should consider upgrading, 2.0.21 is solving (now known) security issues.

Then, yes, I'll put up together something for olympus RC1, the principle are set, as I worked a bit on the two betas, but I don't want to go too far until RC1, to save useless work.

I hope you'll be up to date by this time ;)

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby arch_stanton » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:36 pm

dcz wrote:Well, yes the difference is not big, and that's why it will probably not require to reinstall all mods on your forum if you do it step by step. But I confirm you should consider upgrading, 2.0.21 is solving (now known) security issues.

Then, yes, I'll put up together something for olympus RC1, the principle are set, as I worked a bit on the two betas, but I don't want to go too far until RC1, to save useless work.

I hope you'll be up to date by this time ;)

++

Just letting you know it's been upgraded to 2.0.21 with most of my mods restored. A couple of them are a little more awkward so I'm waiting until I have a bit more time, then hopefully install the advanced SEO mod-rewrite. :)
arch_stanton
PR1
PR1

Postby mikey67 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:15 am

what are you all thinking about phpbb 3

What are you thinking the most breakthroughs and best things in 3 olympus
mikey67

Postby arch_stanton » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:31 am

dcz wrote:Then, yes, I'll put up together something for olympus RC1, the principle are set, as I worked a bit on the two betas, but I don't want to go too far until RC1, to save useless work.

I think beta 5 may be coming out this weekend, dcz, which will include the upgrade tool.

Have you done any more work on the advanced mod-rewrite regarding this? I know you're waiting for RC1 - but how long after RC1 release is it likely to be before you have a solution?

Would you also be creating a version of zero dupe for phpbb3?
arch_stanton
PR1
PR1

Postby dcz » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:20 pm

The phpBB SEO mod rewrites for phpBB3 will have all the phpBB mod rewrite features and more ;)
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby mhmdkhamis » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:27 pm

dcz wrote:The phpBB SEO mod rewrites for phpBB3 will have all the phpBB mod rewrite features and more ;)

very good news from you dcz

and we wait u :)
mhmdkhamis
PR4
PR4

Postby arch_stanton » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:40 pm

beta 5 now out, with tool to convert from phpbb2 to phpbb3! :D

dcz, do you have a beta version of your mod-rewrites for phpbb3?
arch_stanton
PR1
PR1

Postby dcz » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 pm

nope ;)
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby arch_stanton » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:13 am

dcz wrote:nope ;)

So if I go live with it, I won't be able to have mod-rewrite, therefore would have to revert to vanilla URLs? :(

Evil man. :evil: :lol:

Would the changes needed be relatively minor?
arch_stanton
PR1
PR1

Next

Return to phpBB2 Forum