[Archive] mx Sitemaps 0.0.1

Support for the phpBB2 SEO mods released in the phpBB2 SEO Toolikt forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby dcz » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:39 am

That's what I thought ;)

We made the UTF-8 mod rewrite a full Package :D

++
Useful links :
SEO Forum || SEO Directory || SEO phpBB || Search

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Advertisement

.htaccess sitemap.php to sitemap.html?

Postby jolin » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:36 am

First question:

What should I submit to Google?

http://www.domain.com/sitemap.php

or the individual sitemaps like:

http://www.domain.com/forum-sitemap-1.xml

http://www.domain.com/forum-sitemap-2.xml

and so on?

Second question:

Is it better to .htaccess sitemap.php to sitemap.html and submit it as an .html file to Google?

Third question:

Is what about Yahoo? (and all the others)
Should I create an individual RSS feed from each forum and submit it as separate RSS feeds to yahoo?
Last edited by jolin on Tue May 15, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jolin

Postby dcz » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:23 am

Hello ;)

So you should only submit your sitemIndex, being sitemap.php or sitemap.xml with mod rewrite (by the way, there is no html extention here nor it's a RSS feed). Google will find out in it which sitemap was updated since last visit and go check it.

Then, at first it's not really important to implement mod rewrite for the sitemaps links, but in the end it is a bit, mostly because next version will have clickable links and a cache allowing us to post many links to it (thus better rewritten).

It's easy to do, you'll find the rewriterules to add in your .htaccess in the contrib/ folder's .htaccess and will just have to turn mod rewrite on in mx Google sitemap ACP.

++

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby jolin » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:18 pm

Hey dcz,

I've done all the url rewriting, everything is cool (used the webmedic sitemap_forum.php replacement file and added the .htaccess rewrite rules)

Don't forget who your talking to. (You've taught me how to do it before this site was launched) :wink:

What I'm concerned is creating a total solution for all search engines (i.e. Google,Yahoo AND MSN) as well as giving a readable version for users.

What I thought about was to rewrite the file sitemap.php to sitemaps.html with .htaccess much the same as you've done to turn sitemap.php to sitemaps.xml and add a .xsl CSS style sheet to make the page readable by users and place a link to sitemaps.html on my homepage.

Then submit it to Google sitemaps as http://www.domain.com/sitemaps.html (Also submit the same url to MSN)

Is this a good idea to rewrite the "sitemapindex.php" (AKA sitemap.php) to sitemaps.html and submit it as so to Google sitemap service? (Instead of sitemaps.xml)

As for Yahoo we need a script to convert the sitemap protocol to RSS as Yahoo now support RSS format sitemap submission which seem to me to be better then the allurls.txt file submission which could be created by the Yahoo mod mentioned on this forum somewhere. What do you think?
Last edited by jolin on Tue May 15, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jolin

Postby dcz » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:51 pm

I know dear 6th user, you're part of this web site history :D

How do you like the new style by the way ?

All right let's get back to topic.

I think there is still some confusion here, the webmedic sitemap_forum.php is part of mx Google sitemaps module, the principle is the same here with webmedic's mod rewrite but ...

Mx sitemaps, this thread's mod, is an html sitemap mod, ready for mod rewritten URLs as you suggest, take a look at the way it is set up here on this site, even though I added the multiforum support, it's the same, you'll just list results from one forum the same way :

the Index, configurable in acp : www.phpbb-seo.com/sitemaps.html
the forum Index site map : www.phpbb-seo.com/board-map.html
As you can see, you can set a different pagination in the forum maps than in the forums : http://www.phpbb-seo.com/phpbb-seo-mods-bm32.html

And the Last active topic listing is configurable for each type of page (index, forumindex and forum map).

This type of site map cannot be submitted to any system I know. It's just meant to facilitate crawling and to provide additional links to your deeper content, and it is very efficient.

Then, you probably want to install the auto link add on with it. So far the webmedic version does not support title injection in sitemaps URLs.
I think a small patch is required for it's pagination, please tell me how it goes.

Talking about Search Engine Optimizing for MSN and Yahoo as well, the next version of mx Google sitemaps will be Yahoo too, with Gzip support and auto regenerated cache, the Google sitemaps will be css/xsl styled and all links click-able :D

I bet it will be a cross search engine optimisation as we'll be able to massively post links to our Google sitemaps by then ;)

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby rick74 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:07 pm

A good evening,

I've installed this mod and have few problems.

I fixed the most because they are related to the IIS server i'm running on.

When i click on the right top to go the the next page i get this link:
http://www.bouwlink.nl/forum/forum-map18.html&start=10
it doesn't exist
It should be :
http://www.bouwlink.nl/forum/forum-map18-10.html

Where can i change it ?

Thank's in advance

Rick
rick74
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team

Postby dcz » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:15 am

Actually, I'd be very interested, and I am not the only one I am sure, to learn how you managed to use the mod rewrites on IIS server.
I just never used it, so I am pretty much a big noob when it comes to IIS, not that I regret it, but as IIS is still being widely used, please share ;)

Then, your problem is very easy to solve, you just need to uncomment to required lines of code in sessions.php, as mentioned in the comment. There are several RegEx related to the mx sitemaps mod.

These are mainly used to inject titles (with phpBB SEO mod Rewrites only so far) and to handle pagination without dupes.

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby rick74 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:36 pm

It's not so simple
I haven't got the comments in my sessions.php, and the code you described here is not for the able2know mod wich i already had long before i discoverd this forum.
What i don't understand that the sitemap is working, except for the next page link.

To use rewrite mod on a IIS server you first need to install a program on your server called isapi rewrite.
It produces a file named httpd.ini wich you can put in the root of your site, then it works almost the same as the .htacces does.
The reg expressions look a little different on httpd.ini
like this:

Code: Select all
RewriteRule /forum/sitemaps([0-9]*)\.html$ /forum/sitemaps.php\?c=$1 [I,L]
RewriteRule /forum/sitemaps.html$ /forum/sitemaps.php\ [I,L]
RewriteRule /forum/forum-map.html$ /forum/sitemaps.php\?fim [I,L]
RewriteRule /forum/forum-map([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)\.html$ /forum/sitemaps.php\?fmp=$1&start=$2 [I,L]
RewriteRule /forum/forum-map([0-9]*).html$ /forum/sitemaps.php\?fmp=$1 [I,L]

I will overlook the able2know mod again and see if erased or overlooked something in my sessions.php

BTW the last part look's like this
//
// Append $SID to a url. Borrowed from phplib and modified. This is an
// extra routine utilised by the session code above and acts as a wrapper
// around every single URL and form action. If you replace the session
// code you must include this routine, even if it's empty.
//
function append_sid($url, $non_html_amp = false)
{
   global $SID;

if ( !empty($SID) && !preg_match('#sid=#', $url) )
   {
      $url .= ( ( strpos($url, '?') != false ) ?  ( ( $non_html_amp ) ? '&' : '&' ) : '?' ) . $SID;
   }

return $url;
}

?>
rick74
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team

Postby rick74 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:54 pm

I think i need to ad

// mx Sitemaps Module (forum URL injection + pagination)
"'(?)forum-map([0-9]+)\.html".$amp."start=([0-9]+)(".$amp."){0,1}'",
"'(?)forum-map([0-9]+)\.html(".$amp."){0,1}'",

somewhere ?
but my php knowledge is poor
rick74
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team

Postby dcz » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:28 pm

I am sorry, I though you where using one of the phpBB SEO mod Rewrites.

So yes some additional code is needed, but don't search for it you never installed it.

Actually, every body with able2know mod rewrite just migrated before they installed this mod, so the case never occurred. Just because you can switch for at least the phpBB seo simple mod rewrite with no risk and only benefits.
Because it's very easy to change the URLs outputted, you can keep all the aboutxx.html and only use them, but with a faster code and no more pagination duplicates.

Or, we can http 301 redirect all the previous about to the new topic with no risk at all SEO wise, just because it can be simpler to use this standard for all other mods. You could even switch to the mixed or advanced mod rewrite as soon as the zero dupe will be out. We just have to make sure HTTP 301 are properly used with IIS.

So here is the piece of code you miss to get it right, use this append_sid function :

function append_sid($url, $non_html_amp = false)
{
   global $SID;
   // www.phpBB-SEO.com SEO TOOLKIT BEGIN
   global $phpEx;
   $amp = ($non_html_amp) ? '&' : '&';
   $find = array(   $amp.'start=0',
         $amp.'postdays=0',
         $amp.'topicdays=0',
         $amp.'postorder=asc',
      );
   $url = str_replace ($find, "", $url);
   $url = preg_replace("'(?)forum-map([0-9]+)\.html" . $amp . "start=([0-9]+)(" . $amp . "){0,1}'", "forum-map\\1-\\2.html" . if_query('\\3'), $url);
   $url = trim($url, "?");
   // www.phpBB-SEO.com SEO TOOLKIT END

if ( !empty($SID) && !preg_match('#sid=#', $url) )
   {
      $url .= ( ( strpos($url, '?') !== false ) ?  ( ( $non_html_amp ) ? '&' : '&' ) : '?' ) . $SID;
   }

return $url;
}

And this :
#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

include/function.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

?>

#
#-----[ BEFORE ADD ]------------------------------------------
#

// www.phpBB-SEO.com SEO TOLKIT BEGIN
function if_query($amp)
{

if($amp != '')
   {
      return '?';
   }

}
// www.phpBB-SEO.com SEO TOLKIT END

Which is almost installing the phpBB SEO simple mod rewrite, but the cool thing is this will as well solve many pagination duplicate issues, as all default sorting options will now be filtered before the URL is even built.

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby rick74 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:20 am

Oke dcz,

Let's make a project out of this, i will create a new folder for the forum. forum.bouwlink.nl instead of www.bouwlink.nl/forum/.
In the new folder i will place a new httpd.ini (.htacces) And install a clean forum and mod it with the advanced mod.
When i 'm ready we have a toolkit for IIS advanced mod rewrite.

In my search on the internet i found thousends of topics about IIS mod rewrite but never a solution. When i see that your site is 8 places above able2know in the serps with "able2know mod rewrite" i think this is going to be a very populair topic.

Before i will setthe new forum live i want to mod also with

Simular topics (like phpbb-seo.com)
topics anywhere
sitemap module
google sitemaps
rick74
phpBB SEO Team
phpBB SEO Team

Postby dcz » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:13 pm

rick74 wrote:Oke dcz,

Let's make a project out of this, i will create a new folder for the forum. forum.bouwlink.nl instead of www.bouwlink.nl/forum/.
In the new folder i will place a new httpd.ini (.htacces) And install a clean forum and mod it with the advanced mod.
When i 'm ready we have a toolkit for IIS advanced mod rewrite.

This is such a great and useful idea :D

I think the best would just be to start a new thread for this particular purpose in the phpBB mod Rewrite forum once you are ready to start testing a bit.
Once we'll come up with a solution, because I am sure we will, we'll be able to offer nice articles and method about this (here I say we because I plan to organize the SEO knowledge base in a way that any one having a good article to propose will be able to do so and will have some interest in doing it, I'll tell more about this once I start the recruiting and the articles themselves, the next coming month hopefully).
Obviously, since this project is interesting me, I'll be helping you as much as I can, but I am pretty sure that besides the rewriterules, nothing will have to be changed in the code.
Being able to perform simple tests on an IIS server will be great, to make sure http 301 are handled properly and such, all those things I just cannot test for now.

rick74 wrote:In my search on the internet i found thousends of topics about IIS mod rewrite but never a solution. When i see that your site is 8 places above able2know in the serps with "able2know mod rewrite" i think this is going to be a very populair topic.

Lol, I had not noticed this one, but noticed that since couple days, phpBB SEO is first on phpBB SEO, and it was able2know before. Things are moving ;)

rick74 wrote:Before i will setthe new forum live i want to mod also with

Simular topics (like phpbb-seo.com)
topics anywhere
sitemap module
google sitemaps

All those will work as per Apache server php side, we just have to check rewriterules for these and http 301 redirections for the future zero dupe.

So once you're ready with your sub-domain, just start a new thread and post or pm me the link so that we'll be talking about the same thing. Then, you should start installing the phpBB SEO advanced mod rewrite as his php wise, should work right away rebuilding links. Once this is done we'll have to find out the proper IIS mod rewrite syntax for the rewriterules, and to then do the same for the other modules.

I fell exited :D

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby HB. » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:27 pm

I just wanted to ask, is this MOD supposed to create a link in the footer leading to the sitemap and forum map? I noticed that it does here but doesn't on my site. Thank you

edit:

I also wanted to point out in the picture below, categories seem to have a invalid link on the sitemap using mod-rewrite. I'm running CH so this could be the problem, but I'm not sure.

HB.
PR0
PR0

Postby HB. » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:46 pm

I also noticed there is no link leading back to the real forum index

mine only has >> Sitemap Index instead of Forum Index >> Sitemap Index, under the post.
HB.
PR0
PR0

Postby dcz » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:19 pm

Sorry, this mod is not compatible with CH yet.
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to phpBB2 SEO MODS