phpBB SEO premod 3.0.0 released

phpBB SEO site news and official annoucements.

Moderator: Moderators

phpBB SEO premod 3.0.0 released

Postby SeO » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:56 am

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the availability of the phpBB SEO Premod 3.0.0 package, the "Louna is Gold" edition.

This release update the premod to phpBB3.0.0 and the phpBB SEO mod rewrites to the last version (0.4.0).
The premod includes the updated version of the phpBB SEO dynamic meta tag mod, Optimal title mod zero and no duplicate mod soon to be released.

Demo : http://phpbb3.phpbb-seo.net/

New in this version :
  • Added : Link to the last topic title above the last post link on forum listing view,
  • Added : Group URL rewriting, with optional group name injection,
  • Added : profile URL can use nickname injection (optional),
  • Added : profile URL can use nickname injection without ID (optional),
  • Added : User messages URL can use nickname injection (optional),
  • Added : User messages URL can use nickname injection without ID (optional),
  • Added : 404 header is now returned for forums that do not exist (both rewritten and vanilla URLs),
  • Updated : zero duplicate handles the new rewriting for profiles, user messages and groups,
  • Fixed : Sub forum last post link from the no duplicate on forum listing view,
  • Fixed : Usage of a slash as a suffix is now fully supported for all rewritten URLs,
  • Fixed : Base href handling (bug with virtual root option),
  • Fixed : 100% XHTML valid output,
  • Updated to comply with phpBB3.0.0.

Available packages
    If you experience problems with the automatic update (white screens, timeouts, etc.) we recommend using the "changed files only" method for updating.

With this release, there are four packages available.
    • Full Package
      Contains entire phpBB SEO premod source English and French language files.
    • Changed Files Only
      Contains only those files changed from previous versions of phpBB3.
    • Automatic Update Package
      Update package for the automatic updater, containing the changes from previous release to this release.
    Select whichever package is most suitable for you.

Translations Update :
      Both French and English language pack are included by default in the auto update and changed file package.
      In case you are not using the french language pack at all, you can safely ignore updates of the French language files. Leaving it on your ftp and let the updater update it is of course not a problem.
Please ensure you read the INSTALL and README documents in docs/ before proceeding with installation, updates or conversions!.

Be sure to take a look at the official phpBB3 announcement thread to find out more about the phpBB3.0.0 new feature and bug fixes included in the phpBB SEO Premod.

Please note :
    The update will require some additional set up and .htaccess update. Your forum URLs will stay exactly the same, but there are new option to URL rewrite the profiles, Groups and User Messages search pages.
    Once you will have set up these three new options, you'll have to generate a new .htaccess. Please read carefully the install file about the ID removing on profile pages.
    If you change your member profiles URL with your new settings, you will have to keep the previous Profile rewriterule right before the new one in your .htaccess.
    If you encounter some difficulties to update the phpbb_seo_class.php file, for example if you modded it, you will just have to use the new file and edit it to re enter your previous customisations (static part & delimiters).
    Once you will have updated, you will have to refresh your theme's cache as well as phpBB's cache (ACP => STYLE, Themes => Refresh).

Download/Documentation
Last edited by SeO on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SeO
Admin
Admin

Advertisement

Postby sanis » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:54 pm

Finally ;)

Congrats. I'm going to update my board tonight ;)

Merry xmas ;)
sanis

Postby dcz » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:54 pm

Glad you like it :D

How do you like the new profiles url (optional) http://phpbb3.phpbb-seo.net/member/SeO and user message pages (optional too) http://phpbb3.phpbb-seo.net/messages/SeO/

?
Useful links :
SEO Forum || SEO Directory || SEO phpBB || Search

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby apeee » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:30 pm

Url for member profiles and messages are awesome. I was not even thinking that you were going to add that. It's the Christmas present for me this year. Your new baby have came with lots of happiness and cheers it everyones life.

Just had some questions?

1. I'll be using some other phpbb3 style, for this should I have to do many changes?

2. Is this the final release or you will be adding more features, testing, bug findings etc. in this?

3. Can you please check here http://phpbb3.phpbb-seo.net/member/SeO at Most active topic since it is not showing actual .html url when I hover around it but still it is taking me to the actual html url???????? Is this a bug?

4. Demo phpbb3 premod index page is not validating for xhtml strict but inner pages are validating for xhtml strict.
apeee
PR0
PR0

Postby sanis » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:58 pm

dcz, yes it looks really cool ;) i like it. it would be nice to make member url like:
member/sanis.html not member/sanis/

:)

apee,
1. Look at http://www.phpbb-seo.com/boards/phpbb-s ... t1913.html
2. I think dcz will make more features if he thinks it is really needed. And he is allways fixing bugs, so i think it isn't final release.
3. Good eye ;) yes it is a little bug.
sanis

Postby TomaS » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:02 pm

great but still wait for advance i will update maybe on 24 of december 8)
phpBB podpora-slovak phpBB support
slovenský preklad pre phpbb3-slovak translate for phpBB3
predaj a kupa domeny, marketing a internetove podnikanie- Slovak domain center
TomaS
PR2
PR2

Postby apeee » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:33 pm

One more bug found. When using example.com/phpBB/member/nickname where nickname with a space like "Seo Phpbb" it will add "Seo+Phpbb" not "seo-phpbb" ??? and the letter "s" and "p" does not get small, it remains caps.....? how do I fix this and one bug that i have written above.
apeee
PR0
PR0

Postby digital1 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:40 am

Thanku for providing us a graet mod.

The new requested feature of nickname injection is superb. Keep it up.

And special congrats to dcz for his new born baby.
digital1
PR0
PR0

Postby dcz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:37 am

apeee wrote:1. I'll be using some other phpbb3 style, for this should I have to do many changes?

Prosilver / subsilver2 code changes ;)
apeee wrote:2. Is this the final release or you will be adding more features, testing, bug findings etc. in this?

It's final 3.0.0 release, but development continues.
apeee wrote:3. Can you please check here http://phpbb3.phpbb-seo.net/member/SeO at Most active topic since it is not showing actual .html url when I hover around it but still it is taking me to the actual html url???????? Is this a bug?

It's not really a bug, it's just a link that is not supported yet by the mod. It was not really an issue until we added more rewriting on profiles, but it's not a SEO issue at all, it's just one of the little thing we'll be able to do to go even closer to perfection.
apeee wrote:4. Demo phpbb3 premod index page is not validating for xhtml strict but inner pages are validating for xhtml strict.

So is phpBB3, try a vanilla install and you'll get the same error. Actually, this one is a bit weird, because I do not find the guilty code in the source :

Code: Select all
<ul class="topiclist forums">
</ul>

Is supposed to cause problem, but, in the source code you won't find it so ...

Anyway, w3c validation is more something to wish than a real must as long as everything displays correctly and that the errors are few.
And, our code is not responsible for this.

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
Forum référencement || Annuaire référencement || Référencement phpBB || Recherche
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby apeee » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:49 pm

One more bug found. When using example.com/phpBB/member/nickname where nickname with a space like "Seo Phpbb" it will add "Seo+Phpbb" not "seo-phpbb" ??? and the letter "s" and "p" does not get small, it remains caps.....? how do I fix this and one bug that i have written above.
apeee
PR0
PR0

Postby dcz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:58 pm

It's not a bug, it's part of the browser limitation, space char is not handled the same in all cases, sometime it's replaced with a "+" and some other times it's replaced with "%20", the mod at least makes sure it's using a "+".
Hyphen is not an option since hyphen could be used in a nickname for real.
That's the kind of thing that make the id removing more comfortable to use with alphanumeric nicknames, hence the warning in the install file ;)

You can choose to keep the ids if your user do use many special chars, will work in all cases, using the same formatting as the topic url when titles are injected.

++
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby apeee » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:15 pm

well! when I use example.com/phpBB/nickname-xxx.html where nickname is "phpbb seo" it will add hypen "phpbb-seo-gt.html" not the +. So I wanted to add hypen "-" in the case example.com/phpBB/member/Phpbb-Seo

Is it possible? If I use + then search engines will recognize it as "%20" which I feel really odd and disturbing. If there a way then let me know otherwise I'm happy to use .html for the nickname but member/nickname was really cool.
apeee
PR0
PR0

Postby dcz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:52 pm

Again :

install wrote:__________________________________________________
NOTE: profile and user messages pages ID removing:

phpBB/member/nicknames VS phpBB/nicknames-uxx.html And phpBB/messages/nicknames VS dephpBB/nicknames-mxx.html

If you use profile and / or user messages pages ID removing, you should know that some urlencode
will be used by some browsers such as Firefox.
As well, a bug with mod_rewrite requires some custom url encoding to handle the "&" case proper in user names.
For example a user named rock&roll will require rock%2526roll (double urlencoded &) to be usable.
( http://www.php.net/urlencode => http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=34602 )

There are other issues with custom characters, like accents, which will add some urlencoded chars in urls.
It's not an SEO issue, since bots knows about urlencoding, but it can end up building pretty long url with multi byte characters.
This does not concern the a-zA-Z0-9 chars, underscore ("_"), hyphen ("-") and dot (".") included.
In phpbb_seo/phpbb_seo_class.php, you can decide to use different methods :

$this->seo_opt['custom_url_endode'] = 1;

You can change the value, to 1, 2 and 3.
$this->seo_opt['custom_url_endode'] = 1, nickname is pretty much injected as is, after it is
htmlspecialchars_decoded, encoded in UTF-8 and filtered for the "&" case.
This means you will let the browser decide, FF will most likely use urlencoded chars
if your user are using more than alphanumeric chars, but IE and Opera should do the trick.

$this->seo_opt['custom_url_endode'] = 2, would mean to impose urlencoding on all links, with the double urlencoding trick on "&".
Should handle more special cases, but imposes urlencoding for all browsers.

$this->seo_opt['custom_url_endode'] = 3, double urlencode everything, most likely the safest way for desperate cases :-D
Should handle pretty much all cases, but imposes double urlencoding for all browsers.

This of course means that the ID removing on profile and user messages pages is more comfy and universally efficient
to use with alphanumeric chars user names (without accents).
Other cases are heavier and are more meant to handle few exceptions than to do the trick with multi byte chars in general.
Here, it's mostly Firefox to limit us a bit.

Space character is not an alphanumeric char, there is nothing we can do about it.
Useful links :

Liens Utiles :
dcz
Admin
Admin

Postby JohnS0N » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:26 pm

In topic view I'd like only the topic title to display, not the forum title too!

Example: http://phpbb3.phpbb-seo.net/demo-en/a-topic-t4.html

A topic : The English speaking demo forum

I would like only the topic title as the TITLE. No forum title.

How do I do that?
JohnS0N

Postby TomaS » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:25 pm

phpBB podpora-slovak phpBB support
slovenský preklad pre phpbb3-slovak translate for phpBB3
predaj a kupa domeny, marketing a internetove podnikanie- Slovak domain center
TomaS
PR2
PR2

Next

Return to Site Announcements